06/30/08

 

The Oriental Padauk Box

OK, this box is about as oriental as I am, but it still has somewhat of an oriental feel, so that's the name it got.

After more than enough trials and tribulation, Iíve completed my next box. This one is padauk, with a canary wood knob on top. Itís another box-jointed and coved experiment, except I took the coved theme into the top as well. The finish is a combination of boiled linseed oil, spray-can shellac, and so many coats of glossy Arm-R-Seal wipe on finish I lost countÖprobably somewhere around 12 to 15 coats. I was going for a very smooth, glossy finish with no perceptible wood pores. I plan to buff it out a bit more in a few weeks after things have fully cured, but I didnít want to wait to share, so here are some pics:

Hereís the basic box shot. Itís about 7.5Ē long by 6Ē wide, and about 3.5Ē tall.



Hereís another showing the profile of the sides and how the top carries the line beyond the edge of the sides:



The bottom is lined with crushed black velvet, and this shot shows the sculpting of the top. (Forgive the reflection of the upholstery on the side of the boxÖitís what I get for using the couch as a backdrop.):



I coved the box sides after it was assembled, and while I had the saw set up, I coved a few more feet of material to make the top. The top is simply four pieces mitered together, with a hole left in the middle for the canary wood knob. The grain in this particular hunk of padauk was running diagonally to the edges, so the four pieces of the top make somewhat of a spiral:


And, one more of the top by itself. This sort of shows the way the knob was sculpted with a Dremel and lots of sanding. It feels nice in your fingers. I also want to call your attention to the edge of the lid in the lower portion of the picture:


Now the fun part of my storyÖa couple weeks before these pictures were taken, I was almost finished with the box (just needed to install the bottom), when a chunk of wood fell off a high shelf in the shop and landed right on the lid. It took an ugly bite out of the edge:


I was crushed worse than the box. After a lot of hours working on it, I didnít want to toss it on the scrap pile, but I couldnít sand out the blemish without losing the nice edge profile Iíd worked so hard to achieve. After a bit of pondering at the local hardware store, I ended up getting some stainable epoxy "wood" putty. I mixed the putty with some padauk sawdust, and using a red oak stain marker pen and brown, red and orange Sharpie pens, I hid the blemish pretty well, especially when it was covered with several more coats of Arm-R-Seal. In some lighting conditions, you can see the patch, but most of the time itís virtually invisible unless you know where to look:


All in all, Iím pretty happy with the way this one came out. Pardon the poor lighting on this last shot.


 

Back to Boxes

This page was last updated 06/30/08